Skip to main content

House hunting

For the past couple of months we've been house hunting. We always knew this day was going to come even when we bought our house in 2005. However, we didn't figure on having twins, leaving us to have to accelerate our plans. So now we are in the market for a bigger house and have been looking and looking and looking with no success. Until you have kids and start planning for them to start school, you never really think of school quality. I mean everybody knows that PG County schools aren't the best but it's shocking how bad most of the schools are (especially middle and high schools). So we had to rule out PG county from the very start, leaving Howard and Montgomery countries. For example, it's common to see schools in those 2 counties to have a score of 10 out of 10 while 3 and 4 are the common scores for PG schools.

Apart from the school issue, another trend I've noticed is that some people (a lot more than one would think) really don't put much effort into selling their house. For example, if you are trying to sell a house for almost half a million dollars, you should at least have pictures with decent resolutions. If I had $1000 for every house that I saw with really crummy pictures, I would have enough to pay cash for our next house! For copyright reasons and because I really don't want trouble, I can't post pictures here. But please if you are selling your house, make sure you have high quality pictures.

Second, please don't try to fool prospective buyers by taking pictures from difficult angles because you are trying to hide a non-flattering aspect of your house. Again, I can't tell how many houses we saw where the picture was drastically different than reality. If there are lots of trees in your backyard, don't frame your pictures to hide the trees. All that does is make me curse you when I drive out there and have to turn around after 5 minutes because your backyard is a mini rain forest. Or because I encountered Bambi and his family grazing in your backyard.

Third, if your house doesn't have a particular feature, please point it out in the description. If your master bath has a shower only, do us all a favor and mention it. Don't make me wonder because your pictures have been cleverly framed and your description is vague.

Talking about high resolution pictures, don't list your house for $450,000 with no pictures! Or with 1 picture. It's 2012 and high resolution digital cameras are way too common that the "no pictures yet!" excuse doesn't wash.

Finally, even if you are trying to short sell your house please put some effort into making the house presentable. And work with your neighbor that likes to leave junk in his yard. We literally drove up to a house and I said to Realtor "hell no, I am not living next to a junkyard!"

Comments

  1. Interesting post. Followed you from Linda Ikeji's blog.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Teenage Years Cometh

If you're lucky, a few days after your twins are born, the hospital just let's you walk out with them. In fact, they insist you take them with you. No training, no classes, no probation...they really just let you walk out with 2 humans. #fatherhood — Tundey A. (@realtundey) November 28, 2021 This was me 12 years ago: And now look at them. In a little over 6 months, they'll be teenagers!   Every time I look at them, I am reminded of Obama's quote on being a parent:  "One of my favorite sayings about having children is it's like having your heart walking around outside your body." — @POTUS — White House Archived (@ObamaWhiteHouse) October 21, 2015

Time Travel

 On November 25th , I ordered a couple of items from Bed, Bath & Beyond. It was late on Thanksgiving, I was up and decided to take a quick look at early Black Friday deals. The air fryer I had been eyeing for a few months was finally on sale. And I needed a comforter set. So why not kill 2 birds with one stone? I ordered both items for delivery (2-3 business days). Whatever, not an urgent need.  Friday afternoon, I received an email from BBB, my items have been split into 2 shipments. The first shipment is on the way. Here's the tracking number. Oh nice...I clicked on the tracking number and got this: I do not list in NJ Go ahead, click on it and take a look at the dates. According to that tracking info, the package was shipped on October 13th! Yeah, that's the reason for the title of this post. Somehow, BBB issued an already-used tracking number for my shipment. It gets worse. Both shipments were assigned different used tracking numbers. Both tracking numbers were for pack

How long should a blog post be?

A couple of times, people have accused me of writing really long blog posts. While I know that I have written some long ones , I think a blog ought to be more than a tweet or a facebook status update. This has been a problem for me because sometimes I want to write about a topic but I either can't quite write enough about it to justify making it a blog post or I just don't have the time to flesh out all my thoughts. So my blogger dashboard is littered with several unfinished blog posts that I started but didn't finished. For example, I had some really strong opinions on the Trayvon Martin case (back before Zimmerman was arrested). Mostly it was about how the case resonated with minority males (especially fathers) in a way in which non-minorities can't fathom. Not because they are insensitive but because they just can't do it. It's like expecting a 3rd world military dictator to understand the US Constitution. Oh yeah, where was I? Right, about writing really l